PCSS-O Phone App: "Safe Opioid Prescribing"
About PCSS-O Phone App:
Opioid analgesics are prescribed frequently for the treatment of pain. While these medications can be an essential part of effective medical care, there are also increasing reports of adverse effects, addiction, and deaths associated with opioid therapies.
This resource brings together evidence-based resources that are currently available to clinicians in safe and effective use of these medications but which can be difficult to identify and access. This app includes:
- Information on the assessment of pain including universal precautions to be used for patients receiving opioids,
- Information on opioid management including links to medical guidelines on clinical use in treatment of chronic pain (e.g.: VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guidelines),
- An example of a treatment agreement,
- A discussion of opioid side effects,
- Several clinical tools for assessing level of pain, depression, and risk of opioid abuse,
- Links to guidelines for treatment of specific pain conditions,
- Contact information for organizations that may be able to provide further information or assistance.
To Access on iPhone: Open the App Store sm on your iPhone. Search "Safe Opioid Prescribing." Click the "FREE" button. Click the green "Install App" button. When the app has downloaded click the PCSS-O icon to open.
To Access on Android: Click on the Google Play Store, click the search icon, enter "Safe Opioids," click the first app which appears "Safe Opioids," click "Install," and click "Accept." When the app has downloaded, click "Open" to access the app.
Or scan the QR code below:
Funding for this initiative was made possible (in part) by Providers’ Clinical Support System for Opioid Therapies (grant no. H79TI023439) from SAMHSA. The views expressed in written conference materials or publications and by speakers and moderators do not necessarily reﬂect the ofﬁcial policies of the Department of Health and Human Services; nor does mention of trade names, commercial practices, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.